The Original McLean Monowheel
For Kerry McLean it all started with the first monocycle he built in 1971 (pictured above) and after his first ride he was smitten with the bug to make it better. Kerry has been building his unique monocycles ever since then and he continues to refine his creation with each new model. Kerry has developed and sold numerous versions of his monowheel, the smallest which is powered by a 5 hp Briggs lawn mower engine and his largest model is powered by a Buick V8 engine!
An Early McLean Wheel
A McLean Monocycle displayed at Discovery World in Milwaukee
Kerry McLean — Inventor of the McLean Wheel
I think we all know someone who can do just about anything… Well for me, that person is my friend, Kerry McLean.
Kerry McLean’s Rocket Roadster Monocycle
- In 2001, during the initial test run of the V8 model Kerry was nearly killed after a freak accident when the approximate 900 lb. monocycle began to wobble out of control and then repeatedly flipped through the air slamming Kerry numerous times into the pavement. Kerry fortunately made a full recovery and after many hours of research he determined what caused the monocycle crash. He made numerous design changes and completely rebuilt the machine, making it even better and cooler looking now that it sports a wing!
- In 2011, Kerry completed the McLean Drag Wheel, a V8 engine powered monocycle that’s almost 25% smaller in diameter of his original V8 model.
- In 2012, Kerry continues to make improvements to the monocycle and he enjoys inventing and building other very cool things, including his conversion of a 2012 Fiat 500 to a 100% electric vehicle.
- In 2014, Kerry built a new style American Hot Rod that brings back memories of the 50’s car culture and fun times that came with it.
- In 2016, Kerry built a 1957 Corvette Gasser just for fun. It’s powered by a V8 with over 800-HP!
WXYZ Interviews Kerry About His Monocycles
Kerry and his crazy creations have been seen on the TV shows and commercials around the world, including Ripley’s Believe It or Not, Auction Kings, The SyFy Channel and more.
Kerry has set a number of Land Speed Records on the Bonneville Salt Flats with his monowheels, including the one he set on his Electric Barstool! The barstool was recently auctioned off on the Auction Kings TV Show. Man that thing was fast!
Thank you for your interest and support. I hope you enjoy the unique inventions built by Kerry McLean.